Green Flag Accreditation
What is the Green Flag?
The Eco-Schools is an international award program that guides schools toward a higher degree of sustainability. There are three award levels within the Eco-Schools program, and the top award is the Green Flag.
The Green Flag is awarded when 11 criteria are met (www.eco-schools.org.uk/apply/green-flag.aspx).
The Green Flag project is run by the students and governed by teachers, staff, and parents.
A Green Flag at CIS?
Last June CIS was awarded the green flag after nearly two years of work. The flag was presented to CIS by Mayor Hans Toft of Gentofte Kommune at the ceremony on June 22nd, 2010. Some of the initiatives undertaken by CIS to achieve this goal were:
- creating an Action Team;
- organized data collection of resource consumption and associated carbon footprint;
- designed a notice board publicizing progress;
- continued incorporation of environmental issues in curriculum;
- maintained a litter-free campus;
- completed an environmental review;
- identified our large-scale project: to provide healthier, more sustainable food choices in the cafeteria, preferably with organically and/or locally grown produce.
Because the goals of Green Flag and EMAS accreditation overlap, CIS can hopefully achieve both!
Visit the Eco-Schools web site at www.eco-schools.org.uk