Waiting List Policy
For All Applicants
A full, formal application including all relevant documentation as well as the Application and Registration Fees must be submitted before an applicant can enter the waiting list.
Qualified applicants will be placed in one of the following categories by order of priority:
- Children of faculty and staff with international hire status;
- Children whose parents/guardians work for one of the organisations that have entered a Sponsorship Agreement with CIS ;
- Successful external scholarship applicants (see Board Policy 3.80);
- Children of transient international families for whom the Danish educational system is not a viable alternative and who have a sibling/siblings at school already or one (or more) for whom a place is available. Number of siblings determines position on list;
- Children of transient international families for whom the Danish educational system is not a viable alternative;
- Children for whom the Danish educational system is a viable alternative.
For equal applicants within each of these categories, a first come, first served policy applies.
Applicants who are already enrolled at another international school in Copenhagen but who wish to change schools will enter categories 4, 5, or 6 as appropriate.
Children of faculty and staff with non-international hire status applying to CIS are treated on a par with any other applicant in the relevant category.
On each of the following dates (November 15, February 15, May 15 and August 15) the list of applicants in categories 4 and 5 will be “frozen” and a new list starting at the bottom of the previous list will be established for the following period.
Applicants belonging to category 6 will only be offered places if places are still available after the beginning of the new school year in August.
Applications for future school years:
Applications for future school years can be submitted at all times, but final acceptance depends on whether a place is available, i.e. students already enrolled at CIS who wish to continue, naturally have priority.
For applications for places with an expected starting date later than August 31 in the current school year, the following rules apply:
Qualified applicants will be placed on one of two different lists, the Short List or the Regular List:
The Short List:
If a place is available in the relevant grade level and applicants pay the Application Fee and the Registration Fee up front, a place is guaranteed, pending successful completion of the assessment process. These funds are non-refundable.
The Regular List:
If a place is not available, applicants only pay the Application Fee. These applicants go on to the waiting list by order of category and date of application (see previous page lines 18 – 44) and are not guaranteed a place.
Once a place becomes available, the applicant who is at the top of the list will be moved to the Short List and an invoice for the Registration Fee will be issued. These fees are non-refundable.